THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

BLP, SELF students travel to Slovenia for collaborative study abroad experience

June 3, 2016
Jayhawks in Ajdovščina, Slovenia, during a visit with Pipistrel, a company that designs and builds lightweight aircraft.

In February I received an email offering me the opportunity to visit a country I had never heard of.

As a student in the Business Leadership Program, I would be traveling to Slovenia for a study abroad trip in partnership with the Self Engineering Leadership Fellows Program. Slovenia, formerly part of the socialist republic of Yugoslavia, is 25 years old and approximately two-thirds the size of Kansas.

The 10-day trip, from May 17-26, provided opportunities to learn about the history, culture and lifestyle of Slovenia through tours of cities, businesses and universities.

I had no idea what to expect when my plane landed in the capital city of Ljubljana — I could barely even pronounce the name, but I was excited to be there.

Soon I was learning about unexpected topics, such as subsidized education — it was something I’d heard about on the news, but it was interesting seeing it in action and hearing how it affects a country’s culture. It was also interesting to hear about the process of the region transitioning from a socialist regime to a new parliamentary system.

Here’s a list of the businesses and organizations we visited during the trip:

Lake Bled, Slovenia

Lake Bled, Slovenia

We spent our free time being tourists. With the Alps, a castle and a small island in the middle of a lake, Bled was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen. We also explored the coastal towns of Piran and Portorož, which were lined with rocky beaches surrounded by the Adriatic Sea.

Before February, I had ever heard of Slovenia, but now all I can think about is when I will get to go back.

By Casey Gamble, senior finance and marketing student

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.